Saturday, June 1, 2013

Some Feedback.

From "Argle Bargle"


I'm assuming you'd like feedback on the lessons. I found a few errors in the first few lessons.


  • ...There's a remote danger that fawl pina will be heard as fawlbwa which might mean ...
I think you meant "fawl bwa"

[Fixed]


  • Names behave in the same grammatical way that pronouns do, except that when haym or bol, etc. is compounded to the end of a zo name, the whole thing becomes a name, and that behaves like a pronoun.
Did you mean to put it that way?  Summary: "names behave like pronouns, except for [condition] where they behave like pronouns."

[fixed - subbed "and" for "except for".]

Regarding the words "je, ja, ji and jo", I can't tell if it's an omission on the page or an omission in the language, but where is "or" in the sense of most western languages? "this or that, but not both."  (In computer programming terms, "ja" would be "inclusive or," but most natural languages use an "exclusive or.")

[this is amazingly confusing.  I think you'd make it out of "ji," meaning "if and only if." Thus:

Zi fey bwa biru ji vin.  You can drink beer if and only if you drink wine.

Zi fey bwa biru jibu vin.  You can drink beer if and only if you DON'T drink wine.

Logically, I think this is equivalent to:

You can drink beer or wine, but not both.

Let me know if I'm wrong.]

One broad suggestion for the lessons: define the predicates before giving examples. For example, this confused me at first:
  • dasa pasa zbano.  or dasa pazbano. Her ex-husband.
"sa" hadn't been introduced yet, nor treating "da" as "her." (Though, with things changing as they have been around the world, it could be seen as ambiguous since it could also be "his ex-husband.")  The "padey, doydey, fuday" example is good, but for completeness, it would have been nice to see "dey = day" preceding it.

[I'll fix this ASAP]

No comments:

Post a Comment